pre-ISA Conference on Social Movements
We are pleased to announce the pre-ISA Conference on Social Movements, scheduled in Yokohama, Japan, on July 13, 2014. Together with RC47 and RC48 of the ISA, the conference is designed to be a transnational event wherein students, researchers, and scholars studying social movements will convene from around the world to meet, share research interests, and engage in lively discussions.
With rapid socioeconomic and cultural transformations in the last few decades, we now face a set of new academic challenges. Academic gatherings, such as conferences, meetings, and forums, have increasingly been held, functioning as a venue to discuss issues common to us all. Interestingly, no academic meetings of a global magnitude have been held so far that pay exclusive attention to social movements. Social movements vary, with diverse issues, motives, strategies, resources and surrounding environments, across countries and continents. The pre-ISA Conference on Social Movements has been conceived of as, and is designed to become, a platform where social movement researchers in the world gather, meet, present their own work, and exchange.
Following the morning plenary session, we will have a session on social movements in Asian/East Asian countries. In social movement studies, much attention has been paid to social movements and collective action in the European and American continents. In this session, we will introduce social movements in Asian/East Asian countries. This will widen the landscape of social movements, and renew our interest in the social movement studies. The following session is designed to be an occasion for socializing. It is a space wherein students and scholars of social movements come together to introduce respective research activities. It will help us develop our research network.
The conference is scheduled on July 13 to synchronize with the opening of the XVIII ISA World Congress of Sociology. It will share the venue with the ISA World Congress. We invite fellow researchers doing research on social movements. The conference aims to offer social movement scholars from around the world a chance for networking that will extend into future academic collaborations.
- Keynote speech & Welcome Message
- Michael Wieviorka (former president of ISA)
Benjamin Tejerina (president, RC48)
Antimo Farro (president, RC47)
- Session 1: Future of Social Movement Research
- To be announced later.
- Session 2: Social Movements in Asia
- Introducing social movements in Asian countries
- Session 3 (Roundtable): Self-Introductory Presentations
- Participants introducing themselves, creating academic networks
【Date and Location】
- Date and Time:
- July 13, 2014 (Sun.) 10:00am to 5:00pm (The exact time is subject to change)
- Room #204, Pacifico Yokohama bldg, Yokohama, Japan (venue of the ISA World Congress)
- On-Site Registration Fees:
- 10 US dollars, 7 Euros, or 1000 Japanese yen
【Who Can Attend】
Scholars, researchers, and students interested in and doing research on social movements.
【Requirements: Power Point Slides for Self-Introduction】
Roundtable Session (15:15-17:00) intends to be a “getting to know each other” space.
Each of the participants will have 3 minutes to present herself and her work (4 slides per person). The time is too short to present a synthesis of one’s research, but it is enough to connect researchers from different continents with similar research interest or perspectives.
Each participant is required to prepare a four-slide power point presentation for self-introduction. Self-introduction slides include who I am (1-page demographic information), what I do, and what I have done, and what research interests I have and what I want to do in the future, together with the contact.
A 1-page demographic information should include: (1) Name & Nationality, (2) Contact (e-mail address, etc.; can disclose if so desired), (3) Affiliation (university & department, institute, organization, etc.), (4) Position (professor / graduate student /independent researcher, etc.), (5) Keywords of your research: up to 5 words, and (6) A short message (if desired).
The conference organizing committee will collect the self-introduction slides from all participants, and compile them into a booklet. The deadline for submission is May 30, 2014, 24:00 (JST). Please send self-introductory power
point slides to the conference office Japan at:
(Please replace ★ with @）
- The power point slides have to be sent in .ppt format, with the title “Last name – First name.ppt” and in an e-mail with the subject heading of “pre-ISA Social movements Conference”.
- The office will not take power point data with 5 slides and more.
- We will compile a booklet in the printout format, rather than keeping all the personal information in a digital format, simply because it will be safer. All the power-point slides sent to the office will completely be discarded once the compilation work is done.
Research Committee 47, ISA
Research Committee 48, ISA
Sociological Consortium Sub Committee, Science Council of Japan
Sociological Forum Japan (SOF-J)